- Complementing the Legal Framework to Facilitate the Geothermal Power Development in Taiwan
- Jui-Chu Lin, Chi-Hsuan Chen, Chen-Hsiung Shen
- 綜觀我國地熱法制規範，主要係依溫泉法來納管，卻未有核發「溫泉礦業權」之事實，此或將 導致先期探勘者無法取得排他優先權之保護，而成為業者裹足不前之隱憂。本文透過檢視地熱資源 調查階段、探勘鑽井階段與開發利用階段之法制現況，發現多聚焦於開發許可或事業興辦之程序， 並未就前期探勘設有促進或管理之規範。本文建議，得採行分階段納管，達到行政精省之目的。具 體而言，應簡化申請流程及函備資料，除地熱探勘申請文件外，尚需檢附相鄰土地之探勘或開發狀 況，以避免「搭便車」之疑慮；若探勘井鑽掘超過一定深度者，應有條件加會主管機關，以利登錄 並公告探勘範圍。另，得於原審查程序中，納入地質法主管機關併審或聯審機制，以利地熱資源探 勘資料之納管。本文高度肯定政府編列預算投入地熱探勘，建議選址應納入環社檢核、應協調地方 政府成立單一窗口、簡化探勘申請程序、並研擬完善利害關係人溝通之方案，以作為推動地熱發電 之典範。後續，待取得資源調查資料或確認資源蘊藏地點後，得導入空間治理觀念、參採離岸風力 區塊開發經驗，評估劃設潛能區塊之可行性。此外，為持續推動並有效納管，得擬具地熱發電總體 推動計畫，報請行政院核定後據以執行。
- Reviewing the current status of Taiwan’s geothermal legal system showed that the geothermal energy development is mainly administered and managed, based on the Hot Spring Act. Up to date, no “hot spring mining rights” as indicated in the Act, have ever been issued. The circumstances likely cause uncertainty for early prospectors in obtaining exclusive priority right for later development, and thus become an obstacle for the industry to move forward. This article, by examining the legal issues in the geothermal resource survey, exploration and drilling, and development and utilization stages, found that the existing laws and regulations focus mostly on development permits or business establishment specifications, and lack of regulations for the promotion and management of early geothermal exploration to follow. This article proposes to adopt phased management for achieving the purpose of administrative efficiency refinement. Specifically, the relevant application process and paper preparation should be simplified. For the required geothermal exploration application documents, the relevant exploration or development activities in the vicinity should be included for reviewing to avoid free-riding doubts; if an exploration well is planned to drill beyond a certain depth, the comparative authority should join to facilitate the registration and announcement of the geothermal exploration scope. In addition, the prior review procedure may be incorporated with the combined or joint review mechanism, aided by the implementing authority of the Geology Act, for appropriate management and compilation of geothermal exploration data. Taking the forward-looking plan for promoting the geothermal resources exploration as an example, this article affirms the governmental budgeting for such events. For serving as a model for promoting geothermal power generation, it is recommended that the exploration site selection should take the environmental and social viewpoints into consideration; the local government should be coordinated to establish a designated work window; simplify the exploration application procedures; and develop and improve the stakeholder communication plan. In the future, after obtaining adequate resource survey data and confirming the geothermal resource locations, it may be desirable to follow the experience from offshore wind block development scheme to plot the potential areas for geothermal development. In addition, for the long run, it is of necessity to formulate an overall promotion plan, approved by the Executive Yuan and implemented accordingly, for development of geothermal power generation in Taiwan.
- Geothermal Power Regulations, The Entitlement to Geothermal Exploration, Geothermal Exploration Process